Samsung Electronics workers strike over wage talks breakdown
Quick Take
Samsung Electronics workers are striking due to a breakdown in wage negotiations.
Key Points
- Workers demand higher wages amid rising living costs.
- Negotiations failed to meet employee expectations.
- Strike impacts production and supply chain operations.
📖 Reader Mode
~2 min readCris Tolomia
3 min read
Samsung Electronics workers launched an 18-day strike Thursday after management rejected a government-mediated wage proposal that the company's largest union had accepted, sending Samsung stock down as much as 4.4%.
The walkout drew 48,000 participants — representing 38% of the company's South Korean employees — after a mediation session personally led by Labor Minister Kim Young-hoon failed to bridge the two sides' remaining differences. Speaking to reporters, Choi Seung-ho said the union had signed off on a proposal put forward by the National Labor Relations Commission chief, only for Samsung management to hold out on the one issue still dividing the parties. "We will not cease our efforts to reach a deal even during the strike," Choi said, visibly emotional as he bowed before reporters.
In a statement, Samsung pointed to the union's position on bonuses for unprofitable divisions as an example of demands the company could not accept. The company's statement warned that yielding to what it called excessive union demands would compromise core management principles, while pledging to keep communication open.
The dispute centers on Samsung's performance-based bonus structure. On the union's side, key demands include enshrining a 15% operating-profit bonus allocation in employment contracts and permanently removing the existing ceiling that caps bonus payouts at half a worker's yearly salary. Management's counter-offer included a 10% operating-profit contribution to the bonus pool and a supplementary one-time payment the company described as exceeding industry norms.
Earlier in the week, a court sided in part with Samsung's injunction request, ordering that enough staff remain at certain facilities to safeguard equipment and materials. The company told the union the ruling translates to a mandatory presence of 7,087 workers.
Authorities have left open the possibility of triggering an emergency arbitration order that would freeze the strike for a month, though an official indicated Wednesday that negotiations had not yet exhausted their course. That legal tool has been deployed just four times in South Korean history since 1969, according to Bloomberg.
The standoff has drawn warnings from the highest levels of the South Korean government, with Prime Minister Kim Min-seok citing figures as high as 100 trillion won ($66 billion) in potential losses, warning that disruptions to Samsung's semiconductor production lines could force the scrapping of wafers already in progress. A central bank official, speaking anonymously, told Reuters that the worst-case impact on South Korea's economic expansion this year could reach 0.5 percentage points.
— Originally published at finance.yahoo.com
More from Yahoo Finance
See more →These Super Stocks Could Be the Biggest Winners in the AI Inference and Agentic AI Economy
The article highlights top stocks poised for growth in the AI inference and agentic AI sectors.